Forums Workspace One UEM VDI first impression

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Joe McDonald 1 year ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Joe McDonald
    Keymaster

As a mobility expert I hadn’t really given Horizon a chance.

VDI is Dead

You will hear people saying VDI is dead, dying, is no longer required in this modern world we live in and to be fair I was under the same impression. A recent internal move saw me dealing with more of VMware’s EUC stack. I was becoming more familiar with the whole SDDC buzz and really experiencing what VMware was built on, not just reminiscing on the old AirWatch days.

A solution which can dynamically, securely and quickly provide users with any application? An application like AutoCad which was built for workstations costing £1000s, now running on a Chromebook or iPad. The possibility to control when a user can print, use a USB drive or the ability to redirect all my folders onto a Stateless machine. I have to admit I found myself googling all kinds of terminologies, terms I’ve not used before or needed to. Like what is a Stateless Desktop?

Stateless Desktops:
    Stateless desktops provide many advantages over stateful. These benefits include: Lower storage cost, easier to maintain or upgrade and patch, no need to back up the virtual desktops as they are normally destroyed when the user logs off. It makes disaster recovery much simpler when you abstract the user personalised profile data/settings and applications from the desktops. When architected properly end users should not care or even have to know where their desktop is running. Additional tools such as UEUser Environment Manager, and App Volumes make this entirely possible.

Stateful Desktops:
    Stateful or persistent desktops require the equivalent of conventional physical desktops. They are treated like any other physical desktop would be but are physically secured in a datacenter running on server class hardware. Stateful desktops require backing up, updates, applications installed like any other physical desktop. They can be centrally managed by tools like SCCM but still are subjected to backing up user data and state somewhere externally. The recovery time is also a consideration to restore should a virus or corruption occur. Stateful desktops consume more storage than stateless desktops as well.

It’s been an exciting experience learning about UEM (User Environment Manager), App Volumes, Instant Clones, the differences between an RDSH session or a VDI. More to come…

#421 Reply

Charlie Hodge
    Keymaster

Hellz yeah it worked!

#422 Reply

Joe McDonald
    Keymaster

nailed it

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: VDI first impression
Your information: